Sunday, December 19, 2010

MADE: Christmas Decorations

Hello everyone - sorry I have not been blogging lately, time seems to get away from me and then I realise a month has passed. Ooops :(

Time has gone so quick that I haven't even got my christmas tree up yet! So I have been working on that today and I have been making decorations for it this year so it has a nice handmade feel. Here is what I made:


These are so easy and fun that you can make them with the kids to keep them occupied in the first week of holidays (I don't have kids, I have cats and they also found this fun - by stealing them and using them as toys!).

All you need is:
  • Pack of Styrofoam Balls (I got mine from Spotlight)
  • Scrapbook Paper (but you could use anything - I think old novels would look cool)
  • Ribbon
  • A paper trimmer
  • PVA Glue
  • Hot Glue Gun.

All I did was measure the ball from top to bottom and cut strips of paper that wide and then cut that into 1/4" strips. Next you glue the paper strips onto the balls so the are sitting flush against each other around the middle and overlapping at the top and bottom (does that make sense? I hope so).

Once they are dry carefully put a dot of hot glue on the bottom and wrap your ribbon around. I cut one piece short and wrapped in one direction and another piece long and used that to go around the other side and tied a bow at the top.

If you own a hot glue gun you know it is an absolute nightmare and quite dangerous so I think if you are going to make these with kids that you should use strong double sided scrapbooking tape to adhere the ribbon.

And viola - christmas ornaments. Just put a ornament hook through the bow on the top and hang on the tree.

I will be back tomorrow with some more of my homemade ornaments.


1 comment: